7.08.2008

Sharing with Ninja...

Ninja sure did enjoy sharing this mango Popsicle with Jeremiah (I hope it is ok for the dog..it's just mango fruit and water). Jeremiah loved giving the Popsicle to Ninja for an occasional lick...but I don't think he was quit as thrilled when Ninja got in his face like that (cute pic though). Jeremiah has been getting a little better with saying "NO" and trying to move the dog with his hand rather than just hitting or kicking him. I am so thankful that the dog CHERISHES Jeremiah and that even when I can't get to Jer fast enough and he gets a whack in...Ninja still loves him (so far). I never want the dog to feel like he is not treated with respect from our family, and Jeremiah definitely knows that it is an inappropriate behavior (he has had plenty of talks and timeouts). We are also going through the potty training period with the dog (that's fun)....which means he has definitely had plenty of accidents in the house (which is hard becuase it is not our house and I feel like I have to be on top of it even more..I am not one to trash someone elses property). I however HATE the smell of wet dog, nasty dog, dog breath, dog pee and dog poo....so to say the least I have been TOTALLY cleaning the carpet multiple times a day and the dog is always clean (so far). I love having a dog as a companion and an extra set of eyes and ears....but it has definitely been a lot of work. I think we have finally gotten him crate trained...he goes in there pretty much with out whimpering and if he does it is for less than a minute (just for night and when I leave the home for short trips). We are still in the potty training period...which I want to get finished so he can sleep in our room (not our bed) with out being in a crate. After that we are going to tackle the doggy training classes so he can socialize with other dogs and learn obedience. I am definitely taking this job serious (of being a dog owner) and want him to be a positive part of our family and I want him to be a joy to be around (for us and everyone). So if you are around him and he barks a ton at you, tries to bite you or jumps on you...please know that I am DEFINATELY working on it...but it is a process like everything. I am not just being a bad owner :).

"Ninja...NO...I am trying to eat my popsicle" - what Jer is probably thinking
Where is the food???? He has an AMAZING sniffer (I know that is what they were designed for...so what should I expect??)
*By the way...he is not aloud to do this

2 comments:

Kristi said...

He's such a cuttie!! Hang in there with all the "puppy" stuff! It's a pain in the booty but is SO WORTH IT in the end!!! It makes is so much fun to have the dog around!!! and be patient! Boulder is 2 years old and still has a hard time when visitors first arrive.....keep lots of treats on hand (store brand fruit loops work great and are cheap ;) Can't wait to see Ninja in action!

Anonymous said...

I think you're doing a great job Princess! I really appreciate you taking such a positive attitude toward this whole thing. Thanks for all your hard work while I've been gone. It means a lot to me. Thanks for being flexible and not getting mad when I asked to work today. I'll be home as soon as I can tomorrow morning. I'm not going to dilly dally around, hopefully I'll fly out of here like a bat out of hell.

Love ya'll (all three of you) ;)

Kyle